Archive for GITMO

Belgium accepts GITMO detainee

Posted in arrested terrorists, counterterrorism, foreign policy with tags , , on September 6, 2009 by admin

Belgium officials say they have agreed to accept a U.S. Guantanamo Bay terrorism detainee who has been cleared by U.S. courts.

A statement Friday from the Belgium Foreign Ministry didn’t reveal the detainee’s identity or specify his nationality, nor did it detail a timeline for the transfer, The Miami Herald reported.

Advertisements

The Rectum Jihadist?

Posted in counterterrorism, terrorist attacks with tags , , , , , on August 30, 2009 by admin

Okaz sources said the bomb was implanted in the attacker’s rectum, which could explain why he refused to drink coffee at the Prince’s Court.

via G&R and EoZ.

Before:
The future of AQAP after Saudi prince’s attack.
Attacked Saudi prince is now more resolved to fight terror.
AQ claims Prince Nayef’s attack.
Suicide bomber injures Saudi Prince.

The future of AQAP after Saudi prince’s attack

Posted in counterterrorism, terrorist attacks with tags , , , , , on August 30, 2009 by admin

ANALYSIS-Saudi attack evokes fears of Yemen-based militancy | Reuters

An attempt to assassinate Saudi Arabia’s security chief, who is a prominent member of the royal family, appears to mark a new tactic by an al Qaeda network that is exploiting worsening instability in neighbouring Yemen.

A suicide bomber posing as a repentant militant failed to kill Prince Mohammed bin Nayef at his Jeddah office on Thursday in the first known attack on a Saudi royal since al Qaeda began a bloody campaign in the world’s top oil exporter in 2003.

“If it had been successful, it would have been an incredibly significant propaganda victory for al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP),” said Christopher Boucek, an associate of the Carnegie Middle East Programme. “But it’s not on the level of sophistication seen in previous multiple, coordinated attacks.”

…AQAP is led by a Yemeni, Nasser al-Wahayshi, but it named as commanders two Saudis freed from the U.S. detention centre at Guantanamo Bay who had later graduated from Saudi Arabia’s rehabilitation scheme for militants — run by Prince Mohammed.

NYT:

Six weeks ago, after secret trials, more than 300 militants, many accused of having ties to the Qaeda network, were tried and convicted, and some were given prison terms of 30 years, the Saudi Press Agency reported. Jamal A. Khashoggi, the editor of Saudi Arabia’s Al Watan newspaper, said he feared that the attack was a sign of a new tactic for Al Qaeda. Prevented by security operations from carrying out complex bombing attacks, he said, the militants may shift to strategic assassinations of leaders to destabilize the Saudi state.

“It is serious,” he said. “What I am afraid of is that Al Qaeda in Saudi Arabia will be transformed into an assassin’s group.”

Poligazzette:

Al Jazeera talked to Hussein Shobokshi, a columnist for the London-based Asharq Al-Awsat, an Arabic newspaper, who said the attempted assassination was risky for Al Qaeda because it would take the kingdom’s war on terror to an entirely new level.

“It has also created an incredible amount of sympathy for the government,” he said. The government’s response is likely to be “strong, consistent and with enormous popular backing.”

The above leads me to believe that Al Qaeda is becoming pretty desperate. Not only can they expect the royal family to strike back hard, but they’ll also lose a lot of goodwill among the population for two reasons: the attack, of course, but also its timing.

Related: Inside AQ underground torture bunkers.

Before:
Attacked Saudi prince is now more resolved to fight terror.
AQ claims Prince Nayef’s attack.
Suicide bomber injures Saudi Prince.

Prince of Jihad” Mohammed Jibril, arrested

Posted in arrested terrorists, funding with tags , , , , , , , on August 28, 2009 by admin

INDONESIA Mohamad Jibril, “mastermind” of the attacks on Jakarta hotels, arrested – Asia News

Indonesian security forces have arrested Mohamad Jibril, who is suspected of having masterminded the massacres in Marriott and Ritz Carlton Hotel on 17 July in Jakarta. The arrest was carried out yesterday while the man – also known as Muhamad Ricky Ardhan – was travelling to the house of his father in Pamulang in the regency of South Tangerang, a suburb of the capital.

Jibril is director of an information portal Arahman.com, a point of reference for the local Islamic community. He apparently has two birth certificates, which bear different places and times. According to the first he was born in the province of South Borneo December 3, 1979, in the second he was born in East Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara province, on 28 May 1989. The police spokesman added that “he is suspected of collecting funds from abroad” to finance the Islamic extremist movement.  

channelnewsasia.com – Indonesian police say bomb suspect was Al-Qaeda member

(Jibril was) known on the Internet as the “Prince of Jihad”

The source of the funds is not known, but police have said they are investigating whether the money came from Al-Qaeda brokers in the Middle East or South Asia, among other possible donors.

Mohammed Jibril studied Islam in Karachi, southern Pakistan, where he joined an Al-Qaeda-affiliated group known as Al-Ghuraba, or The Foreigners, according to analysts such as the Brussels-based International Crisis Group (ICG).

Al-Ghuraba was set up in 1999 by Hambali, the Indonesian alleged point-man for Al-Qaeda in Southeast Asia who is in US custody at Guantanamo Bay, analysts said.

It trained Southeast Asian members of the Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) regional terror network blamed for the 2002 Bali bombings that killed 202 people, and served as a conduit between JI and Al-Qaeda.

Related:
Noordin’s Support Base.
Challenges for Indonesia.
Indonesia seeks 2nd man who helped in terrorism funding.

ex-GITMO Afghan detainee will sue US

Posted in arrested terrorists, counterterrorism with tags , , , on August 28, 2009 by admin

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Young Guantanamo Afghan to sue US -video inside

Mr Jawad’s lawyers said his family would sue for compensation in US courts, but added that he needed as much financial assistance as possible in the short term.

“The way forward right now is to avail the Afghanistan government and the US government of funding to help train him and get him back to normalcy,” Mr Jawad’s lawyer Major Eric Montalvo was quoted by the Associated Press news agency as saying.

“So to not give him any compensation – any way to help him back to civilisation – this is unacceptable,” Mr Montalvo told a press conference in the Afghan capital, Kabul.

“There is no difference between being confined in Guantanamo Bay or being left out in the wild without assistance,” he said.

On Canadian Omar Khadr case

Posted in arrested terrorists, counterterrorism with tags , , , , , on August 28, 2009 by admin

Teenage terrorist or confused kid — Gitmo’s youngest prisoner – CNN.com

Khadr, now 22, is the youngest inmate and, as a Canadian citizen, the only Westerner still held at Gitmo. He is accused of receiving one-on-one training from al Qaeda and was allegedly caught on a surveillance video making and planting roadside bombs where U.S. troops traveled — video the Pentagon will not release.

Due to go to trial last month, Khadr is charged with war crimes including murder, spying, conspiracy and providing support to terrorism. But President Obama’s order to close the detention facility at Gitmo has postponed the trial, and left the case in limbo.

Like the other remaining 245 Gitmo detainees, Khadr could be tried in the United States and face a life sentence. Or he might be sent back to Canada, where he could avoid trial and be set free.

Khadr has already served more time than he ever would under Canadian law, his lawyers say. They paint him as a victim, a kid trying to please his father, an al Qaeda financier who raised Omar and his siblings in bin Laden’s training camps.

Fo a more realistic view on this subject, read:

Omar Khadr: Doozie of the Day.

The Harper government is denying an accusation that its latest bid to avoid bringing former child soldier Omar Khadr home from a U.S. military prison smacks of “racism”..

Omar Khadr is NOT a “Child Soldier” – as per UN Laws.

‘To qualify under the Third Geneva Convention, a combatant must have conducted military operations according to the laws and customs of war, be part of a chain of command, wear a “fixed distinctive marking, visible from a distance” and bear arms openly.’
…Not only was he not a part of a recognized military ‘chain of command’, and not wearing any ‘badges’ or ‘distinctive markings’ that could, even remotely, be construed as ‘uniform’ or ‘fixed distinctive marking’:  the crime he is accused of having committed is against the laws and customs of war.  ( I can expand on this, at length, if asked, in the comments sections.)
….The Khadr family certainly considers 15 years of age to be ‘adult’ – that is the age at which their daughter was given away in marriage!